It helps to know what ‘quality of life’ means to you. It’s an intensely personal question. Your vision of quality may differ from that of mine, and that’s what makes the world such an intriguing beast. We’re fascinating in our differences.
I may value connections, authenticity and adventure; dream of kids, a thriving business, founding a charity, and you might be driven by success, learning and independence; you won’t be complete until you hit CEO and make Forbes list.
I have decided to put down the things that I think can increase any life;
1. Spend time with your thoughts. Call it what you want, meditation, time out, whatever. I think it’s important to take time to reflect as this helps to put things into perspective.
2. Learn something new. I’m not saying go learn a new language (which isn’t a bad idea), but read up on something that you wouldn’t normally read, and share this with someone, (trust me, your brain will thank you) and give yourself an instant confidence boost!
3. Leave the routine. Even for just a minute a day. (And that’s coming straight from a Routine QUEEN!) Truth be told, when I do break out of it, it feels really good! (It’s still hard to bend the “rules” though).
4. Spend time outside. This is something I love to do, although I don’t I get to do it as much as I would like to. I personally feel that this simple act instantly reduces stress.
5. Give yourself. Mentor, contribute, practice random acts of kindness, express gratitude. Give your time, be fully present for your family, change the world. There are a million ways to give of yourself. Do it big, do it small, just do it. It’s one of the most positive equations in the world: You give of your time or resources, which improves someone’s quality of life, which makes you feel needed and valuable, which in turn improves your quality of life. We’re all better off. Magic.
6. Connect with people. We are social beings. Pay special attention to your family, your partner, your friends, and your colleagues. Explore and strengthen your connection to a Higher Power. And be open enough to enjoy the spontaneous connections that come from making a new friend at the gym or sharing a witty remark with stranger at the supermarket. Genuine curiosity and kindness are an amazing way to foster connections.
7. Celebrate. We all need a healthy dose of play in our lives. this fuels our creativity and feeds our spirits. Celebrating is a wonderful way to share love. Celebrate with traditions, with heartfelt compliments, with notes in lunch bags, with surprises, with big evenings out, or with cozy evenings in.
8. Recognize what makes you happy. Reflect on the parts of your day that bring you real satisfaction. Everyone is working towards something, but what makes you happy now? Try to incorporate more of what made you happy yesterday into today.
9. Love yourself. Treat your body with respect and care. Help yourself age well by staying flexible, protecting your skin from sun and exercising your mind. Most importantly, sleep well.
10. DO NOT STRESS!